Monday 12 May 2014

Super Dungeon Explore Fig.1: Deeproot Druid

Slightly more than two-and-a-half years after I first started painting miniatures, I have finally completed an anime character; the very type of figure/model that started me on this journey in the first place. So in a sense I have come full circle and it feels good. Painting bright colours is so much fun and just puts me in a happy place. Life is at its best when you appreciate the small things! 

Up close and personal, the Super Dungeon Explore Deeproot Druid
Shinryaku! Ika Musume - Reference used for painting the druid's eyes

Fellow blogger Zab of Almost Perfetc had given me a very good starting reference for anime eyes but I unfortunately couldn't use it to convey the type of expression I wanted the druid to have. Luckily for me I found a near-perfect example to base my painted anime eyes on, in the form of the protagonist in Shinryaku! Ika Musume which literally translates to Invade! Squid Girl. Despite not having watched a complete episode of this anime television series, I have always liked how the main character is illustrated both in terms of her many expressions as well as her simple yet effective colour scheme. 

Super Dungeon Explore - Deeproot Druid [Completed]

Meanwhile, seeing that I had already blundered in painting a textured white fur, I wasn't going to make the same mistake twice. So that meant I could not paint the druid's armour using metallic paint which would have been out of place with the flat colours of a chibi-stlye illustration. Instead, I tried painting non-metallic metal (NMM) again, in what is only my second attempt at this tough technique (with the first attempt being Marvel's Iron Man). Still very unhappy with my NMM work though.

The druid's golden armour was my second attempt at painting non-metallic metal
Green gems on the armour turned out better than the actual armour itself

While the textured white fur wasn't a complete and utter disaster, it does feel slightly out-of-sync with the rest of the druid's colour scheme. So lesson learnt and textures are out for the next chibi mini.

Look closely at the band-aid to see some texture work
Textured white fur, a case of being too clever for my own good
White highlights and cool light grey shadows on the fur were increased

I can't help but wear this silly grin on my face just thinking of the many bright colours I will need to use in order to bring the rest of Super Dungeon Explore's chibi-style minaiture heroes to life. Thanks for taking the time to check out the druid, the first of many pieces from this beautiful board game.      

http://shireworks.blogspot.com/

19 comments:

  1. Very nice work and paint !
    Cheers .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant, that turned out well then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Despite the fur setback, it did turn out better than I expected. ^_^

      Delete
  3. ACE! You definitely have that chibi style down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Zab! I am loving the anime-style colours a lot.

      Delete
  4. wonderful, i really like it!
    can't wait to see the others.
    bye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you luca, I hope the next one will be better without any textured stuff on it. :)

      Delete
  5. Nice job! Character comes to life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ... he was really fun to paint as well. :)

      Delete
  6. Great job, can't wait to see the next one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^_^ Me too, I can't wait to get started on the second one.

      Delete
  7. Love it! you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fed, my aim is to make each anime figure cuter than the next. ^_^

      Delete
    2. You have chosen a very hard task then! I can't wait to see them all :D

      Delete
    3. ^_^ A nearly impossible task for sure. After all, how much cuteness can a human possible endure? :)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you very much Cristina. Much appreciated. ^_^

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...