Friday 9 May 2014

SDE Deeproot Druid [WIP - Skin and hair]

Although I'm still at the early stages of my anime chibi-style painting project with the Super Dungeon Explore board game pieces, I can already tell I am going to have so much fun. Painting these chibi minis is going to allow me to go crazy with bright colours. For an anime fan like myself, that is like mana from the heavens. Also I get to emulate Hayao Miyazaki's use of colours. Sweet!

Super Dungeon Explore Deeproot Druid [Work-in-Progress - skin and hair]

To paint the druid's skin, I had to imagine a sun-kissed wood elf with a fascination for green hair-dye products. Since I had never met such an elf before (let alone any elf), I instead envisioned a beach going tourist who was a little too enthusiastic during Paddy's Day celebrations. It was that or think of George Hamilton with green hair. For the uninitiated, he was a Hollywood actor with a serious tan.

Skin tone was a tad orangey ala George Hamilton's tan

I loved how well the green complemented the orangey skin tones. For that, I have to take my hat off to the Super Dungeon Explore concept artists for getting the colour schemes down pat. Recreating the colour schemes on the board game pieces makes me feel like a kindergarten kid with paint colours. And that is a good thing because we all can get a tad too serious about the hobby for our own good. 

Being a wood elf, the Deeproot Druid's hair is naturally green

Well that's it for this super quick update on the Super Dungeon Explore Deeproot Druid. The textured white fur isn't looking all that bad now with the skin and hair painted in but I will have to finish all the other parts before I can be completely sure, so I will reserve final judgement until then. So next up will be some non-metallic metal (NMM) work on his armour, an attempt at painting anime eyes and everything else. Many thanks for following my progress on these cute miniatures so far!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/FourEyedMonster/313145002078520

18 comments:

  1. Nailed it! I like how he's turning out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this model and your paint on this .
    Greetings .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love anime-style miniatures. Just wish I had the budget to get the Super Dungeon Explore board game expansion packs. :)

      Delete
  3. Unusual and inspired, I like this model and the paint job too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil ... it's lucky for an anime-fan like me that these miniatures exist!

      Delete
  4. Haha, lovely! I believe you just got the perfect style to paint these minis. This is turning out nice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Suber! ^_^ Heh heh ... all those time spent splashing bright paints about in kindergarten is resurfacing again as long hidden muscle memory. Lol

      Delete
  5. it's wonderful!
    it seems just popped out from a videogame!
    waiting for more.
    bye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soda Pop Miniatures really managed to capture the old Nintendo Japanese RPG look very well. :)

      Delete
  6. Looks awesome, the skintone and bright green work together perfectly, your paintjob definitely carries the chibi vibe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words Adam. ^_^ I love pastel and bright colours which is why I am a Hayao Miyazaki fan. I guess all that time watching his movies has hard-wired my brain to paint such colours. Lol

      Delete
  7. I love it: it's so cute!! You've doing a very good job on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Fed. Being an anime-fan makes painting this miniature so so so much fun. ^_^

      Delete
  8. Nice! Cute, yet mean. Nice skin tones dude

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really had beginners luck on the skin as this was the first time I had tried doing sun-kissed orangey skin tones. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...