Saturday 6 February 2016

Star Wars Stormtrooper - Bandai 1/12 Scale Model Kit [Review: Part 1 of 3 - Unboxing and initial assembly]

With paint supplies for my Millennium Falcon project not forthcoming, I turned my attention to another Bandai Star Wars plastic model kit - the 1/12 Stormtrooper. Paint-wise, I have what's needed so it's a no-brainer to put the Falcon on hold and proceed instead with this elite soldier of the Empire. The review has been split into three parts starting with the unboxing and initial assembly; followed by completion of the assembly and further painting/decaling; before finally ending with the final paint details as well as poses to showcase the Stormtrooper's impressive articulation points/joints. 

Bandai Star Wars Stormtrooper 1/12 Scale Model Plastic Kit
Side views of the Bandai Star Wars Stormtrooper
Sprues were all neatly packaged in clear plastic - what I feel should be the industry norm

Instructions is the usual Japanese language only version but assembly is sufficiently simple and straightforward that translation into English, in my opinion, not needed at all. Just be aware of the orientation of the parts when putting them together and also be careful when cutting parts from the sprue so as not to cut off an essential joint ... and you should be just fine. 

Simple to understand diagrammatic instructions meant translations into English weren't needed

An early indication of this model kit being an easy one to build up can be seen in the number of sprues accompanying the kit - two large, two small - for a modest total count of parts.  

Sprue A: Weapons, interior body parts, hands, feet, etc
Srpue B: External armour, etc
Clockwise: Sprue PCF-6 (articulation joints), SWB-3 (base), water decals and stickers

Assembly began with the iconic Stormtroopers helmet, which is a simple process of snap-fitting all the parts together. With the exception of the helmet's tube stripes and aerator/mic tips, everything else was detailed using Bandai's water decals. In the end, I was pleased with how both turned out.     

Stormtrooper helmet parts herald the start of assembly, Step 1
Stormtrooper helmet: After assembly; then before and after decal/paints

Getting the torso together was equally quick and left me mightily impressed with Bandai's model engineers. All the separate parts fit snugly together with no glue needed at all and seems to be designed with the intention of allowing a maximum range of movement between the joints.

Step 2a: Assembly of the Stormtrooper's upper torso
Step 2b: Assembly of the : Stormtrooper's lower torso
Step 3 involved snap-fitting the helmet onto the torso

Although no glue is needed, you can if you choose to, glue two parts together in areas where lined spaces are showing. That requires an extra thin glue that experienced modellers would be familiar with. But it was new to me hence my enthusiasm for the product - it has become my favourite glue for plastic parts. More on this in a future video tutorial once this model is completed.   

Step 4: Assembly of groin area and articulation joints for the legs
Step 5: Head, torso and groin connected ... appendages and weapons await

Up till now, it has been great fun putting the Stormtrooper together. I'm itching to get the whole assembly completed as quick as I can so I hope to have Part 2 of this review up soon. In between then and now, the Lunar New Year will be upon us and I want to take this opportunity to wish everyone a healthy and prosperous new year. May the Year of the Monkey be your happiest yet!

http://shireworks.blogspot.com/https://www.facebook.com/shire.works

14 comments:

  1. Great model, waiting for more!
    happy new year to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Luca, may the new year (lunar or otherwise) be a happy one for you and your loved ones.

      Delete
  2. An impressive job you've done...so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil but I can't really take any credit as the model kit is so easy to assemble.

      Delete
  3. What a great start, I'm very tempted myself. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. I'm already addicted to the Bandai Star Wars kits. O_O

      Delete
  4. I didn't know of this kit and it's delightful. Nice so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suber ... the Stormtrooper is a great example of how Bandai's model kits can work.

      Delete
  5. Fantastic kit, I've never built anything like that before myself.
    Your work space is SO TIDY!! hOw the hell do you manage it?
    Mine looks like a bomb hit...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LoL ... it's only tidy within the frame of the camera shot. Everything else outside of it looks messy. :)

      Delete
  6. Very nice kit :) Are you still in the market for some Vallejo Light orange? Let me know cause i have bottle I could send you. Drop me a line with your address at sgt(dot)zab(at)gmail(dot)com.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zab, you are one kind and generous soul. Not surprised seeing the many charity pieces you do on your blog site. :) But I can't in good conscience take you up on your offer as I still have about a quarter bottle left after the spill so I have more than enough to work with at the moment. Thanks anyway Zab! ^_^

      That said, I'm still in the market for a VMC light orange but not urgently so i.e. for later. The site I usually buy from - Cool Mini - is out of stock and also things have become super expensive due to my country's sinking currency. And with the quarter bottle left, I'm in no hurry. If you don't mind me asking - Where do you usually buy your Vallejos ... you can let me know at shireworks(at)gmail(dot)com ... I need a source I can trust.

      Delete
  7. What a simply stunning kit. The fact that the Japanese have been able to make snap fit kits like this for decades always makes me quizzical about the UK and USA's approach to kits in comparison. Catching up, but Japan seem to lead the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're spot on. Snap fit that doesn't come off is a thing of beauty when it all comes together. And the Japanese's attention to detail is an admirable trait.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...